Back to Knowledge Base

What expenses can you claim

Last updated: 14 May 2021
  • Petrol or diesel costs (or mileage allowance)
  • Vehicle insurance (or mileage allowance)
  • Repairs, servicing and maintenance (or mileage allowance)
  • Road tax (or mileage allowance)
  • Insurance (sickness/income protection)
  • Escort fees (E.g. School contracts)
  • Cleaning & valeting
  • Interest on a loan to purchase your vehicle
  • Vehicle lease (full amount)
  • Licensing and test fees
  • Breakdown or recovery membership
  • Radio hire/circuit fees
  • Meter
  • Tariff change
  • Accountancy fees (this App)
  • Subscriptions (trade associations/magazines)
  • Clothing (uniforms or protective clothing only)
  • Phone usage for business
  • Passenger extras, (sweets & water)
  • Parking & tolls
  • Advertising
  • Use of your home (min allowance is £208)

Capital Allowances can also be claimed for the cost of the vehicle. The rate is 18% for vehicles with CO2 emissions below 130g/km, and 8% for vehicles with CO2 emissions above 130g/km.

An alternative to claiming the vehicle running costs is Mileage Allowance which is currently 45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles and 25p after that.
Included is a depreciation allowance (capital allowance) for the vehicle. Interest on any loan to purchase the vehicle can be claimed in addition to the mileage allowance.

HMRC Recognised
The Drivers Tax App is recognised by HMRC and takes care of all your self-employed accounting and tax returns. 30 day free trial! View plans
30 day money back guarantee
Still need help? Send us an email at and we'll do our best to help.