Back to Knowledge Base

How do I cancel registration for VAT?

Last updated: 24 Jan 2021

Very few self-employed drivers are VAT registered. Some couriors have been advised by the company they work with, that they need to be VAT registered. This may be a policy of the company, but it is not a requirement of HMRC.

When to register

You must register for VAT if your VAT taxable turnover goes over £85,000 (the ‘threshold’), or you know that it will. Your VAT taxable turnover is the total of everything sold that is not VAT exempt.

Compulsory registration

You must register for VAT if:

  • you expect your VAT taxable turnover to be more than £85,000 in the next 30-day period
  • your business had a VAT taxable turnover of more than £85,000 over the last 12 months
  • You might also need to register in some other cases, depending on the kinds of goods or services you sell and where you sell them.

Voluntary registration

You can register voluntarily if your business turnover is below £85,000. You must pay HMRC any VAT you owe from the date they register you.

Cancel registration

You can ask HMRC to cancel your registration if your VAT taxable turnover falls below the deregistration threshold of £83,000.

How to cancel

You can cancel your VAT registration online with this link.

HMRC Recognised
The Drivers Tax App is recognised by HMRC and takes care of all your self-employed accounting and tax returns. 30 day free trial! View plans
30 day free trial
Still need help? Send us an email at and we'll do our best to help.